Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Inspiration

"I learned…that inspiration does not come like a bolt, nor is it kinetic, energetic striving, but it comes into us slowly and quietlyand all the time, though we must regularly and every day give it a little chance to start flowing, prime it with a little solitude and idleness."- Brenda Ueland

I am one of those people who finds inspiration everywhere. I'm not always inspired to do something; sometimes inspiration just makes me feel everything more acutely. Inspiration is often how I get my best story ideas. I'll never forget one summer night a few years ago when my family was sitting on our back porch. It was a relatively humid night with a slight breeze. Everything was dark except for the candle on the wicker coffee table. Every so often, the flame would flicker violently in the breeze, but it never went out. For some reason, that was one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen. It got me thinking how sometimes real life is like that. If you really know what you believe in and why, any opposition you encounter in life is merely an obstacle meant for overcoming. The things that stand in your way might knock you around and get you down, but they can never put your flame out.

Random life lessons and story ideas are just some of the benefits to inspiration, at least in my opinion. And fortunately, I draw inspiration from absolutely everywhere:
  • The wind whipping through my hair on walks, especially on cold days.
  • Standing in the rain simply for the sake of getting wet.
  • The smell in the air before it snows.
  • How green everything is right after it rains.
  • Gorgeous, heart-wrenching music.
  • Sunrises, sunsets, late afternoons, and stormy skies
  • Bittersweet stories
  • Sweeping landscapes and vistas
  • Fearlessness
  • Fresh snow
  • City streets at night when all the lights are lit
  • Crisp, cold autumn days
  • Dew on the grass on early spring mornings
  • Love stories
  • Dancing barefoot (or in Dance Paws)
  • Designing practically anything
  • Long talks with friends
  • Sitting in Starbucks for long periods of time

I could go on and on. Those are just some of the places in which I find inspiration, and I am so glad I do. Life would be so much duller without that feeling I get when I'm really inspired.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Very nice! Go look at my blog...I can't believe we had the same, shall we say, "inspiration" at the same time. Ironic. Yay for ze vibe! Something I particularly liked was that you're inspired by fearlessness. For some reason, that really stuck with me. I remember that time on the back porch, but mostly your reaction to it. You go, girl! =D